text on plaque (trailer):
"SPEEDER TRAILER (Crummy)
A speeder is a motorized rail car. During the railway-logging era each logging camp had one or more speeders that functioned as crew transport, ambulance, delivery and railway maintenance vehicles. Where ther were no connecting roads, they were used to transport workders, families, and school students between the camp and the outside world. The larger speeders could also function as light locomotives.
Most speeders were built in the logging company shops, to similar, but individual designs, that were required to meet BC Department of Railway's safety standards. This speeder trailer was one of a fleet of five speeders and two trailers built at British COlumbia Forest Product's Nitinat Camp in 1948-1949, for use there and at the company's Caycuse Beach Camp. The speeders were powered by Chrysler Marine gasoline engines. They and the trailers were equipped with automatic couplers and Westinghouse air brakes. An operator's cupola facilitated operation in either direction. Operators were required to hold operating certifcates issued by the British Columbia Department of Railways.
The geared steam locomotived used in logging normally travelled at between 6 and 9 miles per hour, so speeders capable of 45 mph could reduce travel time considerably.
Speeder trailers (aka Crummies) were towed behind a speeder to provide additional carrying capacity &/or to be left at the job site as a dry place to have lunch. This trailer, BCFP No. 145, had a capacity of 40 men.
Following the conversion to truck logging, this and sister trailer, No. 146, had their wheel flanges removed for use as portable offices, lunch rooms, storage rooms, etc. This trailer saw service as a dispatch office and storeroom, before being recovered from the bush at Caycuse in 2004.
Cosmetic restoration was performed by Kaatza Historical Society volunteers using materials purchased with a donation from TimberWest Forest Limited."